Wandelsport Vlaanderen: “Walking is good for you!"
Like Pink Ribbon, Wandelsport Vlaanderen knows that getting sufficient physical activity is hugely important. That is why this organisation is a proud partner of The Pink Walk. Already convinced of the benefits of walking for your overall health? Wandelsport Vlaanderen is happy to list them here again:
Did you know that …
- Walking has a positive effect on your overall condition.
- Walking strengthens your muscles and bones.
- Walking improves your stamina so you don't get tired so easily.
- Walking encourages blood flow to the brain, which clears your head, reduces stress, improves productivity and generates new and creative ideas.
- Walking boosts your memory and concentration levels and can therefore stave off dementia.
- Walking improves the blood flow and oxygenation to the limbs and organs.
- Walking helps you to maintain a healthy weight in combination with a healthy diet.
- Walking promotes the production of endorphins (one of the happy hormones) and has a positive effect on your mood.
- Walking improves your coordination and balance and reduces the risk of falling.
- Walking has a positive impact on your quality of life, sleep, mood and susceptibility to stress.
- Walking is a good way to prevent type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease.
- Walking reduces the total amount of cholesterol in your body.
- Walking has a positive effect on your blood pressure.
- Walking 15 minutes a day can increase life expectancy by 3 years.
A walk of half an hour a day is enough to reduce the risk of cancer. Healthy eating and moderate exercise lower the risk of death in patients with colon and breast cancer. It also greatly reduces the risk of a relapse.
Are you just starting out on your walks and you don't know where to go?
Or perhaps you have already completed quite a few miles hiking, and you are now looking for some inspiration for your walks?
The non-profit organisation Wandelsport Vlaanderen wants to convince everyone that walking contributes to an active and healthy lifestyle.
In ‘normal’ times, local walking clubs set up dozens of organised walks all over Flanders.
These walks are very easy to join and indicated with temporary signs.
They lead you to some very unique places, paths and roads that you would never discover otherwise, even in your own neighbourhood.
Walking clubs have become very inventive during these Covid times and have started to organise temporarily signposted walking trails.
Those walks are open to everyone, and can be followed whenever it suits you best.
A different walk is organised especially for The PINK WALK every day. Sounds good, right?
You can find these 'coronavirus walks' on the Wandelsport Vlaanderen walking blog.
If you are interested in even more walking initiatives, take a quick look at www.wandelsportvlaanderen.be.
To join the big walking family of Wandelsport Vlaanderen, register on the website.